Tuesday, December 8, 2009

One down, 2 more to go…

I am not quite sure what I was thinking scheduling so many appointments in one week!


Yesterday was the first day of appointments for the week. I took the kids to the dentist. It was The Superhero’s second time going and The Princess’s first time. They both did fantastic!


We started with The Princess. I knew her appointment would go quickly and I wanted to hand her off to my mom. (I always take reinforcements when we go to appointments with both kids)


The dentist, Dr. Eric, came in and looked at her teeth. He was impressed with how many teeth she already has. I let him know that she got her last 6 teeth in a matter of weeks. I asked about the black spots I have seen where her top molars will be. He assured me it was completely normal. It looks like they were cysts under the gums that will go away as the teeth come in.


He brushed her teeth with her new Winnie the Pooh toothbrush. She did very well sitting in my lap with her head back in the dentist’s lap.


When her turn was over, it was time for The Superhero.


We walked back into the room and the dental hygienist talked him into sitting in the BIG chair this time. The last time we were there, he sat in my lap like The Princess did this time. I was not sure he would be ok, but to my surprise, he did just fine.


While he was sitting in the chair, before she started to clean his teeth, she let him “play” with all of the tools she would be using. He got to play with the “squirt gun”. She actually let him spray water all over the room! He was very excited.


Then they played with “Mr. Thirsty”. He likes to drink the water from the squirt gun and from your mouth. They sprayed water in The Superhero’s mouth and then Mr. Thirsty would drink it up. The Superhero thought this was all pretty cool.


Next, she showed him the cool spin toothbrush she would be using. They “polished” all of his fingers. They smelled the bubble gum toothpaste together. Then it was time to start. He was a little apprehensive, but did very well.


When she told him the dentist would be coming in to count his teeth and sing the A,B,C’s, that is when he started to cry. I am not sure why, but we had to reassure him that the dentist just wanted to count his teeth.


After a little convincing, he did fine. The dentist wants us to get The Superhero to quit using his binky. We had this in the plans soon, but not quite yet. His teeth are starting to be affected.


We have decided that we will wait until after the holidays and his birthday. Since we just got to work on potty training, I DO NOT want to mess that up by taking away his comfort item. Potty training is more important to me right now than taking away the binky.


Both kids got a new toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, and toys. The Superhero has been carrying his bag around since we left the office yesterday morning.


All in all, appointment #1 for the week went very well! We stopped at the potty on the way out and The Superhero was very excited to tell me that his teeth were all “shiny”!

Next up…Endo visit today!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails