Saturday, July 10, 2010

2 Years Ago Today (7/10/08)

Sometimes it feels like just yesterday when we made the decision to take The Superhero into the ER instead of the doctors office.

He had been SICK for days and no one could figure out what was wrong with him. Even the ER docs tested for other things before actually checking his BG.

Once they did, there was no turning back.

Our lives were flipped upside down in a whirlwind that would be our stay in the PICU and Peds room over the next several days. Our diabetes education consisted of about an hour each day with an educator. Then we were sent home to manage this beast on our own.

We became carb counting, insulin calculating, finger checking, shot giving, sugar forcing parents to our then 18 1/2 month old toddler.

We have gone through the many steps of having a child with a chronic, life threatening illness. Emotionally, this last two years has definitely been a roller coaster. We have had lots of good days and plenty of bad days.

This disease has brought LOTS of mental, physical, and emotional exhaustion. BUT it has also given us MANY, MANY, MANY close friends we would have NEVER met without this disease being in our lives. The people we have met virtually, have become instant friends.

We have ONE, HUGE common bond, the fact that we are keeping our children alive 24/7. And, we do this together. And those of us that live near each other, love to party together too!

Diabetes has brought a few trips to the hospital (October 2009 and February 2010), LOTS of finger pokes, and LOW blood sugar days.

We also have celebrations with our new found friends. We exchange cards at Christmas, have a secret Santa exchange and share HUGS for Hug a Diabetic Day.

So, even though I did not plan to go to Holland, I am enjoying the company while we are here.

Lots of love on our 2 year Diaversary to all of my AWESOME D Mama (and Dad) friends!


***Side Note: Here is The Superhero's Diagnosis story and the post from our 1 year Diaversary***

7 comments:

Lora said...

Happy Diaversary!! I have been so blessed to find all of you. Otherwise I would probably be suffocating in my fog by now. Thank you for all the love and support you throw my way. I wish I could somehow repay all of you guys for what you have done for me.

Love ya <3

Joanne said...

I can't imagine life without all you lovely people in it and I'm so glad we have each other, even if it is because of this stupid disease.

Happy Diaversary!

Heidi / Jack's Pack said...

I wish D were not a part of our lives, but the silver lining in this dark cloud is definitely the wonderful people we've met. I'm so glad I met you!!!

Big hugs and lots of love to you and your family on the Superhero's diaversary! Here's to a future of good times, good numbers, good health and lots of happiness...not to mention a cure!

Heidi =) said...

Happy Diaversary! Everyone that is further along on this journey than I am, gives me hope. Hope that we will make it to 1 and 2 years and hopefully many more. Thanks for sharing your story. I am so glad to have found you and look forward to continuing to get to know you.

Meri said...

Happy anniversary to your family and to your sweet super hero!! A long road for sure, but when you have good company, time flies! Congrats!!

Tracy1918 said...

Christmas cards?! I had no idea!

Please make sure I'm included on that when the time comes. I don't know what I'd do without all you other moms.

I'm so sorry you're having to walk this road, but it seems like you're doing so great! That inspires me!

Hallie Addington said...

Happy Diaversary! I had a moment today at a birthday party where it hit me (AGAIN) how different our lives are from others. We look the same. We act the same. But we are not totally the same. And without the amazing D Moms and Dads that I've met -life would be a scary place.

I'm glad you choose to honor and celebrate this day! Hooray to all of you for 2 YEARS! And although I'm not fond of the reason, I am so glad to know you and call you a friend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails