Monday, January 25, 2010

Decisions, decisions..

Disclaimer: The following post is regarding vaccines. Please do not bash me for my feelings or thoughts on this subject. This is just MY opinion. Please do not feel like I am trying to convince you one way or another for what to do with your kids. This is a post about my personal decision for my children. I am more pro-vaccine than not. I just feel that I should select the schedule so my kids are not getting SO many at once. Again, this is just MY opinion.

The Princess has her 15 month check up this Friday the 29th. At her 12 month check up I made the decision to wait on the MMR and Chicken Pox vaccines knowing we would get them later. We were already getting some other vaccines that day and I did not want to give her something new that day. The other vaccines were ones she had already had previously, so they were just boosters.

I am having a HARD time decided if and when she will get these two vaccines.

Looking back, The Superhero had both the MMR and the Chicken Pox vaccines at 15 months of age.

He was diagnosed with T1 Diabetes at 18 1/2 months old. He broke his arm at 16 months old (we think he had blurry vision from the D). On the MMR insert it states Diabetes as a "possible" side effect.

Of course, looking back, I still would have given The Superhero the vaccines the way we did. I probably would have thought "what are the chances" and just done it anyway.

But now with The Princess being at the age where she is supposed to get them, I am having a HARD time making a decision.

Do I want to take a chance? Since she is negative for the Diabetes antibodies according to the Trial Net study, should I do it now, in case they turn positive another time?

I am not sure if she is due for any other vaccines on Friday. I think if she is, we will just do the boosters and hold off on anything new to her. I would rather just do them one at a time if that is what we need to do.

I have read, and re-read The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. I have read his website. I think he does a great job explaining the pros and cons and setting up an alternate schedule.

I am still at a loss.

If I skip them for now, will I regret it?

If we do them now, will I regret that?

Will The Princess end up with Diabetes too?

If only I could see into the future!

I *think* I plan on getting them at some point in the next several months, I am just not sure. I can't stop thinking of the "what ifs".

I wish I could be one of those parents that can just trust the doctors and let them do what they are supposed to do on the schedule given to them.

Our life is different. I analyze everything now. Should I, or shouldn't I?

I would love some of my friends to give me some insight on what you would do in this situation.

ETA: I know Diabetes *shouldn't* happen in just 3 months time, according to the text books and research. Not everything happens according to text book and not everything has been fully researched yet. Not every kid or every situation is the same.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails