Wednesday, April 6, 2011

HAWMC Day 6 - Why do I blog?

Today's Topic:
I write about [my] health because….
Internet and social-media-skeptics always ask me the judgmental “why.” “But why would I blog?” “Why would I have a Twitter?” But what they are really asking is – ‘what’s the point of all of it?’ Well, friends, is there one? Why do we do what we do?

I have thought about this one A LOT. I have had a post started on this topic for a LONG time. I started a post about this a long time ago and just couldn't get out the right words. Since this IS the topic for today, I will do my best to get this out coherently.

Why do I blog...
1) To educate. Simple. I feel it is VERY important to do my part to educate others about Diabetes to raise awareness. I am tired of misconceptions and misunderstanding and feel I need to do what I can to spread information about this disease.

2) To feel connected. As a mommy of small kids, who works from home, and rarely sees other adults, I blog to feel connected to other people. Not just any other people, but people living parallel lives to my own. Sure, they may not all work from home. They may not all have 2 kids. They may have some differences from my  house. But, the people I enjoy connecting with have Diabetes in their lives too. They get it. They understand what we go through day in and day out and it means the world to me to connect with every single one of them.

3) To learn. I enjoy learning not only through writing my posts, but also through reading other blogger's posts. There is always something new to learn.

4) For myself. Blogging is a way for me to get my thoughts, feelings, and full emotions out. And getting comments on each post makes me feel less alone. So, yep, I am a little selfish. I do it because of ME.

And those are the main reasons I blog. How about you?


*Disclaimer: I am a mom of a T1 Diabetic child. I am NOT a doctor. I just play one in real life. Please do not take anything in this post or any other post on this blog as medical advice. If you have questions or concerns of your own, please seek advice from your doctor.*

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails