(NaBloPoMo Day 5)40 children in the US are diagnosed with T1 Diabetes EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
That adds up to 15,000 children per year!
From the Mayo Clinic...
Type 1 diabetes signs and symptoms can come on quickly and may include:
- Increased thirst and frequent urination. As excess sugar builds up in your bloodstream, fluid is pulled from your tissues. This may leave you thirsty. As a result, you may drink — and urinate — more than usual.
- Extreme hunger. Without enough insulin to move sugar into your cells, your muscles and organs become depleted of energy. This triggers intense hunger that may persist even after you eat. Without insulin, the sugar in your food never reaches your energy-starved tissues.
- Weight loss. Despite eating more than usual to relieve hunger, you may lose weight — sometimes rapidly. Without the energy sugar supplies, your muscle tissues and fat stores may simply shrink.
- Fatigue. If your cells are deprived of sugar, you may become tired and irritable.
- Blurred vision. If your blood sugar level is too high, fluid may be pulled from your tissues — including the lenses of your eyes. This may affect your ability to focus clearly.
When to see a doctor
Consult your doctor if you're concerned about diabetes or if you notice any type 1 diabetes signs and symptoms.
And from JDRF...
|Warning signs of type 1 diabetes (these may occur suddenly):|
| || |
Diabetes Fact #5: Type 1 Diabetes strikes 15,000 children every year in the US. That's 40 children per day. On July 10, 2008 The Superhero was one of the 40. Today, it could be YOUR child, or someone you know. This is why it is SO important to take the time to learn about the disease.
Diabetes Fact #3: People with Diabetes CAN eat anything they want as long as they match the carbohydrates with insulin.
Diabetes Fact #2: T1 Diabetes is NOT caused by eating too much sugar or being over weight. It IS an autoimmune disease and cannot be prevented.
Diabetes Fact #1: T1 Diabetes CANNOT be treated with medication. The only way to manage T1 Diabetes is with insulin. Without insulin, T1 Diabetics would die. Period.