Wednesday, May 15, 2013

2013 Diabetes Blog Week: Day 3 Memories

Today's Diabetes Blog Week Topic:
Today we’re going to share our most memorable diabetes day. You can take this anywhere.... your or your loved one's diagnosis, a bad low, a bad high, a big success, any day that you’d like to share. 

After a lot of thinking and debating with myself, it was clear that the MOST memorable day in our Diabetes life would have to be July 10, 2008. This of course was the day my Superhero was dx with T1 diabetes at the age of 18 months. 

After almost a week of being "sick" and visiting the ER and pediatrician a few times, we arrive at D day, 7.10.08...

Rod went off to work and I had my mom come over so I could shower before his appointment. Before she arrived I was getting The Superhero’s medicine ready with some juice. I could not do it one handed, so I put him on the floor and he almost fell over. He could not stand on his own. He was so weak. All he wanted to do was be held and to sleep. My mom watched him while I showered. When I came out into the living room she and I decided to take him straight to the Children’s Hospital. We knew if we had gone to the Pediatrician again she would have taken one look at The Superhero and sent us there anyway.

We finished getting everything ready and headed out. We called my dad and Rod on the way to let them know we were headed to the ER. My dad picked up Rod on his way down there. My mom was driving and I kept peeking in the back seat to make sure The Superhero was still breathing while he slept. As soon as we got there we were taken in to a room in the ER. The doctor came in and asked the routine questions. It seemed as though they thought he had swallowed something. He was taken for x-rays of his throat. Nothing. They tried a steroid breathing treatment. Nothing. No change in him at all. During this whole week I had been researching online and knew his symptoms could mean Diabetes, but I thought there was no way. I mentioned this to the ER doctor and they went ahead and checked his blood sugar.

I sat on the ER bed with my baby in my arms as the meter read 598. I immediately started to sob like a baby. I remember hearing my mom ask if it could be that high for any other reason. The doctor assured us there would be no reason for his blood sugar to be that high than Type 1 Diabetes. We were told he was going to be admitted immediately and would be taken to the PICU.

One of the doctors from the Endocrine team came to visit us while we were still in the ER. He explained a little to us about The Superhero being in DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). He told us the IV team would be coming in to insert an IV into The Superhero ASAP because he was severely dehydrated.

After his IV was in and the room in the PICU was ready, we were moved to our room. During his time in ICU he had 2 more IV’s inserted and began to have his finger poked every hour for blood sugar checks.

And so began our T1 journey!

Other memories that made my top list...

Memories of the tiny straw

The Superhero's first day of school

Memories of D Meet Ups

Our D experience at the Children's Museum

Click here to read more posts from Day 3 of the 2013 D Blog Week.

See you tomorrow!

*Disclaimer: I am a mom of a T1 Diabetic child and a child with Allergies/Asthma. I am NOT a doctor. I just play one in real life. Please do not take anything in this post or any other post on this blog as medical advice. If you have questions or concerns of your own, please seek advice from your doctor.*

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails