Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Where do I begin?

Sometimes I don't even know which way is up any more. Our crazy normal continues around here. The kids have both been sick off and on for the past 4 weeks or so. We all currently have a sinus/ chest congestion. We all sound like we have bronchitis/ croup going on.

The Princess just really started sounding bad last night/ this morning. She woke up struggling to breathe, super seal sounding, and wheezy. I called and scheduled an appointment with the pediatrician.

Before we left I remembered that the hematologist had said she did not want The Princess put on steroids if we could help it. At the time she said it, I didn't ask why. It wasn't relevant at the time. I am thankful I remembered this today though. typically, for croup, we would put The Princess on steroids to help her.

So, I called the hematology nurse and left a message. She called me back on our way to the pediatrician. We discussed that of course if The Princess really needed the steroids to help her breathing, we would do it. But, if we can avoid them, we should.

Since The Princess has has ITP for almost 6 months, we have to start looking at other possible causes of the low platelets. It could still be just a low platelet problem, ITP. Or there could be a problem with her bone marrow. Even with no other symptoms.

So, we will be discussing a bone marrow biopsy with them at her appointment next week. If we give her steroids now, it could affect her bone marrow and give us false results.

The one plus of this, if there is one, is that we should be able to combine and do both the bone marrow biopsy and the ear tube/adnoidectomy/sinus cleanse all at the same time.

I will update after both appointments on Tuesday. Until then, please pray for calm nerves around here. I am trying not to stress about any of this and to give it all to God. It will all be ok, one way or another.




*Disclaimer: I am a mom of a T1 Diabetic child and a child with ITP/Asthma/Dysphagia. I am NOT a doctor. I just play one in real life. Please do not take anything in this post or any other post on this blog as medical advice. If you have questions or concerns of your own, please seek advice from your doctor.*

4 comments:

Jules said...

Amen to that, you are so right, God is on it, looking after you and your sweet princess.

Stephanie said...

Sorry things are so crazy right now. I hope you guys get a break soon!

Unknown said...

Thinking about you guys constantly since our "chat" the other day.

Hugs to you...praying...

Alexis Nicole said...

Sending lots of prayers and hugs!

Related Posts with Thumbnails