Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The longest day of my life so far...

I have had plenty of long days in my life. But nothing like today!

We started with The Princess' hematology appointment. Some good news there, sort of. Her platelets were down from the 67,000 we had last week. 25,000 today. This is of course very low, but not low enough to warrant a treatment. We will go back next Wednesday and will be prepared to stay for treatment if platelets continue to drop.

Then we went to the pediatrician. This was not originally on my plan for today, but The Princess woke up with a terrible cough at 2am. Very croupy sounding. Her inhalers seemed to help after a while and she went back to sleep around 4am. She kept saying "my ear hurts" and "my don't feel good".

The ears looked fine to the pediatrician, but we wondered if there was some sort of pressure she was feeling since she continually complains of ear pain, even with no infection. The pedi ordered a CT scan of the sinuses, STAT.

I called the lab and got an appointment for a little over an hour later. Just enough time to grab some lunch before the scan.

The kids and I enjoyed a picnic lunch in the back of our van. They thought it was cool to be in the van and out of their car seats.

Then we went for the CT scan. The Princess was SCARED. Poor thing. I had to stand above her and try to hold her head still while they scanned. She cried. Luckily, she held still enough they got what they needed. We would have results before the end of the day.

We got back in the van and I told the kids it would be a good time for a nap while we drove back down to the children's hospital for the pulmonology appointments. The Superhero was fast asleep. The Princess kept herself awake coughing her poor little head off.

I drove around extra to waste time and let The Superhero sleep. I ended up pulling over at one point to do The Princess' inhalers. She just can't seem to quick coughing. After some wasted time we headed to the appointment. Both kids had pulm. appointments. The Princess had a follow up for her asthma and The Superhero had his first appointment for a croup evaluation. He has had croup WAY too many times this year.

The appointment went well for both kids. As well as can be expected I guess. The Princess is starting steroids tonight for her "croupy" cough. She seriously can't stop coughing! She has barely stopped coughing for more than a minute since mid-day today. Crazy.

And The Superhero officially has asthma as well. He actually thinks the inhalers are cool, for now. We will follow up for both kids in November.

The doc was concerned that The Princess did not pass her swallow study again. She is going to schedule a bronchoscopy to see if something more serious is going on. This will be scheduled soon.

After that appointment, we headed home. Finally. I was/am wiped out!

I got things ready to make dinner when I got home. Then I got the call from the peds office. The CT results were in and The Princess officially has a really bad sinus infection. Antibiotics for the next 5 days, off 5 days, on 5 days. And a re-check of the CT scan in a month.

So, here we are, $150 in copays and $100 in rx's later.

So thankful today is almost over. Now hoping for better sleep tonight than last night.


*Disclaimer: I am a mom of a T1 Diabetic child and a child with ITP/Asthma/Dysphagia. I am NOT a doctor. I just play one in real life. Please do not take anything in this post or any other post on this blog as medical advice. If you have questions or concerns of your own, please seek advice from your doctor.*

8 comments:

LaLa said...

Holy cow - what a day! You are super WOMAN! Man - - - were you wearing an extra cape today? I was exhausted just reading all of that - for reals.

I am so sorry about the asthma and the croup and the sinus infection. Good glittery hell I'm just sorry. Wrapping my arms around you and squeeeeeeeeeeezing super tight.

Love you and your sweet family. Keep calm and carry on. :)

Unknown said...

WOW!

That is a crazy freaking day.

You deserve a day off.

Stat.

Meri said...

Seriously exhausted reading that! SERIOUSLY! Praying that the princesses cough gets a bit of a break tonight and everyone sleeps hard!

I hope you dream of you and your hubby laying on a beach in Hawaii!

Ok Lord, Tracy is ready for her break now!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Yikes, what a doozy of a day!!!

I so wish I had a magic wand right now. I'd wave it over you and make everyone and everything better!

XO

Lora said...

I sure hope you slept like a rock last night. Hugs to you... I KNOW all those appt's are exhausting.

Hang in there.

Cindy said...

Oh, Tracy! What an exhausting day for both you and your kids! I'll be thinking of all three of you and hoping you get some relief from all of this soon! Try to fit some rest in there for yourself too!

Misty said...

What a day!! I hope that everyone starts feeling better and that you all get some rest.

Tracy1918 said...

Tired just from reading that. What a long day! Glad you all made it through. Hope the antibiotics work quickly!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails