Saturday, December 11, 2010

2nd verse same as the 1st

The Superhero started coughing that barky cough on Thursday afternoon. You know, the one that makes him sound like a seal. That can only mean ONE thing, CROUP.

He sounded worse on Friday. But, even though I KNEW I should take him in to the doctor, I chose to tough it out at home. I figured all she would be able to do was give him steroids. And I wanted to avoid those at all costs. We made it through Friday without too much trouble. Rod and I even got out KID FREE and went to his 2nd job's Christmas Party. My parents watched the kids and said that The Superhero hardly coughed at all.

We came home late and put the kids to bed. It was about 11pm by the time we were all sleeping soundly. That is until about 2am when I heard The Superhero calling me between coughs in his room. He sounded AWFUL and could barely breathe. I have never seen him struggle so hard. I finally grabbed him and brought him to the living room and got the breathing machine ready with medicine (which is actually for The Princess).

He then started gagging and even threw up a little because he was coughing so much. While Rod was giving him the breathing treatment I made the decision to take him to the ER. I was scared and did not know what else to do. So I threw on my clothes, called my parents to see if one of them would come with me, and we ran out the door.

Of course, all the way to the hospital, he sounded better and barely coughed at all. I am sure the breathing treatment helped along with the cool night air. The whole time we were in the ER he only coughed a few times. They ended up letting us go pretty quickly. Just some steroids and we were one our way. The steroids should be in his system for 48 hours.

And let me say, from experience, I HATE steroids + Diabetes.

BG's are through the roof and are not budging. He is still coughing a ton today and is NOT feeling well with BG's in the 450's ALL day.

Hopefully, he will be feeling better in the next few days. We have Christmas events to celebrate! And family coming to town.

This is all sounding A LOT like last year in our house.

Seems we had illness after illness last year too! And again this year, we were all sick around Thanksgiving and again a week later. I am ready for it to be over now.

We need a BG and illness break. I don't know how much more I can take.

*Disclaimer: I am a mom of a T1 Diabetic child. I am NOT a doctor. I just play one in real life. Please do not take anything in this post or any other post on this blog as medical advice. If you have questions or concerns of your own, please seek advice from your doctor.*


Hallie said...

Oh Tracy... I hope he gets better QUICK! And no more illness for you! You've been thru it! You all deserve a very happy, healthy holiday season!

connie said...

So sorry the he's sick...that's the worst! We have been having our fare share of sick little one's in our home too :( I guess it's that time of year.

Hope he feels better real soon.

Reyna said...

BUMMER! I hope his BGs are out of the 400s Tracy and that he is feeling better today. You guys definitely need a healthy 2011!

Tracy1918 said...

Oh no! We had to do steroids shortly after diagnosis. I feel your pain! That was not a fun time.

Just remember, clearly he needs the steroids. Keep correcting and adjusting. That's all you can do!

This won't be forever and hopefully he'll be up all better in time for Christmas!! Yay!

Wendy said...

We've never had to do steroids....EEK!!!! You're going a great job, Tracy. Keep plugging along and remember these days will be behind you soon. can't miss the fun next weekend :)

FeltFinland said...

A used to get croup as a toddler and I remember the doctor telling us to go outside into the cooler air. It really did seem to help - I can still see us wrapped up in coats, hats ,boots, sitting on the front door step late at night, coughing toddler in lap - but it worked!!
Hope he is feeling better now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails