Then we hoped and prayed for NO side effects. IE: headache, nausea, vomiting, fever.
We were in the clear...until 4:30am. The Princess woke up and threw up all over my bed. Then an hour later, she threw up again. And again. We cleaned her up and I called the hematologist on call. He said to try to give her tylenol and benedryl (pain and to help her sleep?). She proceded to throw those up after about 10 minutes.
It was then that we made the decision to take her in to the clinic. It was about 6am at this point and the clinic doesn't open until 8am. I knew with traffic it would take about 1 hour to get there, so we packed up and left around 7. Right after she and I left, she threw up in the car.
Then as soon as I pulled in the parking lot, she did it again.
Once we went inside they took us back and spent about 45 minutes, and 2 tries, to get another IV started. Due to the low platelets, and all the pokes this week, the "real estate" on her arms was left to slim pickings. Fortunately, she was feeling SO yucky that she didn't fight too bad. She sat on my lap and watched Dora on the Child Life Specialist's Ipad (BEST IDEA EVER!)
Before hooking her up to the IV, they took some blood to check her platelets. They were UP to 54,000! Only 2000 on Tuesday, this was the BEST news all day! The IVIG appeared to work well for her. We were just unfortunate enough to have most of the side effects that were a possibility.
Once we were taken back to the infusion area, they hooked her up to some saline. She was getting VERY dehydrated. They also gave her Zofran for the nausea and Morphine for the head pain. Apparently the headache is THAT bad. The headache was contributing to her vomiting. Then she started BURNING UP. She had a mild fever at home, but this spiked up to 104 degrees. They gave her tylenol. It wasn't budging. Then they gave her some Motrin.
Finally, after about an hour, she started sweating. She was getting re-hydrated. And the fever was finally breaking!
Then a few minutes later, like night and day, she perked up. She wanted to watch a movie. She wanted a snack. She even used the potty! She had stopped peeing since yesterday, due to dehydration.
They wrote us prescriptions for anti-nausea meds and pain meds. We also have to keep up with the fever using motrin/tylenol. And we were on our way!
These side effects should last about 48 hours. Then we can hopefully go back to "normal". At least until we see her platelets go back down in a few weeks.
I am hoping and praying that this might be the only treatment she needs. If not, we will have to make a decision if we want to do IVIG again, or try another type of treatment.
I can't wait for her little body to heal from all the nasty bruises!
We were home now and she is not feeling great. She is keeping food down and is drinking. She is complaining that her head hurts. I have given her the pain meds and will give her motrin and zofran soon.
Please keep praying for her. I want my girl back!
She fell asleep before they came in to do the IV today. Not looking good. :-(
After the fever came down and she was feeling better. Watching The Little Mermaid. :-)
*Disclaimer: I am a mom of a T1 Diabetic child. I am NOT a doctor. I just play one in real life. Please do not take anything in this post or any other post on this blog as medical advice. If you have questions or concerns of your own, please seek advice from your doctor.*